Friday, January 22, 2016

Thing 13 - RSS Feeds

For Thing 13, I was at first reluctant to dig too deep into RSS feeders. In the past I haven't really made use of them at all, although I did have some basic knowledge of what they were.  However, as I watched the video and read through the "How to Use RSS Feeders" article, my interest began to be piqued.

I decided to download the Feedly app on my Smartphone and created an account. I added the CoolTools blog to it, and then - while looking at some of the other sample libraries and how they use blogs, became inspired to start my own library blog! I set it up and posted one simple introductory posting to get started. I have a call in to my library automation tech support to add the blog/RSS feed to each of my school library's webpages as well. It is my goal to use my blog to let students know about new books, special events, book clubs, and more! You can see my initial blog at http://mcsdlibrary.blogspot.com/ and I hope to make it a dynamic site by the end of this school year.

Feedly seems super easy to use on my iPhone. I downloaded the free app and added the Cool Tools RSS as well as my own new blog mentioned above (to see how it works when new posts are added). I started exploring some other blogs and sites from the Thing 13 recommended lists, but want to be selective in what I start subscribing to, so I'm going to continue browsing for ones I really want to follow, rather than picking some randoms. My intent is to use Feedly, and not just set up the account to play with for this course. I think I am really becoming a believer in RSS :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Glad you found Feedly useful. And so excited that this inspired you to set up a blog for getting news out to students. That's terrific! A handy productivity tool that you might want to check out is IFTTT. You can set it up to automatically tweet out a new blog post when you publish it on your blog. eg: https://ifttt.com/recipes/29284-share-your-new-blog-posts-to-twitter

    ReplyDelete