Thursday, March 16, 2017

Thing 35 - Web Presence



Thing 35 - Web Presence

As I read through the assignment for thing 35, I reflected on the experiences I’ve had with both Blogger (which I use for this course) and Weebly (which I’ve used in the past in my personal life). Both are straightforward and easy to use, and I would say I like both equally.  Since this is my third “Cool Tools” course, I appreciate how I can continue adding to the same blog via Blogger. It’s very useful to have this a reference for myself when I want to go back use some of the things I’ve learned but need a refresher.

My school uses several Google products, but I’ve never explored Google Sites before, so I decided to look at some examples of ways it is being used. I visited the Holliston High School page and went to see how the library webpage looked. I found it rather simple, and not all that visually appealing. Interestingly, the Staples Library Learning Commons site was TOO visually stimulating for me!  The varying layouts were good to show the flexibility of Google Sites though - clearly it can be customized quite a bit!

When I saw LibGuides included on this “thing”, I was very excited! I’ve heard of them, and seen them come up in Google searches before, but never really knew what they were. I didn’t even realize they are something I can subscribe to! I will be reaching out to my School Library System coordinator at BOCES for sure.  I always thought “libguides” was a generic term and that librarians were just making them themselves!  Since I don’t currently have a subscription to LibGuides, I tried my hand at making my own version.  Check out the tabs called “SS8 Settlement of the West” and “Science 7 Elements” about half way on my library homepage (powered by OPALS): http://mms.dboces.opalsinfo.net/bin/home  I think they turned out pretty good!

I found the “tips” helpful - especially the reminder to keep your webpage fresh.  I need to do a better job of updating it and making it more dynamic. For my “learning activity”, I chose:
“Examine your current web site: what needs to change? Look at other school library websites and get ideas. Create a plan for moving to your dream site!”.

I explored the library webpages of nearby school libraries to get ideas. Overall, I think my webpage looks okay (link is included above).  I’d like to add more pictures that I swap out every week or two, as well as post photos of student projects. I also plan to add more of my homemade “pathfinders” as I collaborate with different teachers & content areas. Now that I realize what the LibGuides are, I hope to also gain access to them officially.

Thank you for another great “thing”!

1 comment:

  1. The guide you linked to came out great! Nice work. The google sites examples that I could find weren't great. I'm hoping that by the next time we do this workshop there will be some better examples out there, the new version of Google Sites has a lot of potential, just haven't found anyone who has done something with it yet.

    ReplyDelete