Monday, April 16, 2018

Thing 38: Makerspaces (updated for 2017-18)



Thing 38: Makerspaces (updated for 2017-18)

Just last week I received word that there is funding for a new MakerSpace Club at my school next year. I’ve been slowly collecting materials for a MakerSpace in my school library, and have attended a couple of workshops on how to get one started, yet I’ve been having trouble actually launching the space.  I am hoping this updated “thing” will give me some insight into how best to introduce students to these resources.

To begin, I reviewed the What is a Makerspace? Video and read the article about how the Castle Rock (CO) Middle School transformed its library into a learning commons and makerspace. I wanted to make sure my understanding and the newest trends were on par with each other. I love the idea of the library moniker becoming “Learning Commons” - the message it sends out is perfect! In my school it is the Science teachers who are interested and willing to forge the way with me on the MakerSpace creation. I am fortunate to already have teachers with training who have “bought in” to the concept already!

Next up was some article reading. I started with Fostering Creativity With Makerspaces since it included information on how to get started with a MakerSpace. I understand what they are, but I need help developing practical ways to implement it, as well as determining how to create “challenges” and develop on-going projects with the students. Included in the article is a list of “tips and tricks”. Fortunately for me, the first two steps (find a space and get some money) are already taken care of. Between items I have already purchased through my library budget and grant money, these are not concerns for me. Step 3, however, was VERY helpful: “find the tools”. The author includes a list of the most popular items to include in a MakerSpace. This is the type of information I need! Suggestions include Makerbot 3D printer, Ideapaint (although I don’t have a large wall available, I DO have a dry erase table already), Makey Makey programming tools, and computers with Internet access for programs like Code.org and TinkerCad.com. Step 4 is “find the students”. This is another area in which I need help. I like the idea of creating a weekly or monthly challenge to draw students in. I’ve also spoken with my Science teachers, and they have agreed to bring their classes down to the library for an orientation, which will introduce all students to the space this fall. Very excited to have that level of collaboration!

The second article I chose to read spoke to one of my own concerns: how can I be sure the time that the students spend in the MakerSpace is worthwhile and actually teaching them something? How to Ensure that Making Leads to Learning addressed this concern well. It appears that existing research supports some guidance in the MakerSpace area to ensure student learning; posting a challenge or giving some guidance with activity selections ensures student learning. The example of providing direct instruction on things like “how to use the 3D printer” makes sense, rather than having students struggle with learning it themselves and potentially wasting expensive filament. I also appreciated the notion from the author that “ Instead of asking learners to learn and make at the same time, these two activities can be separated and then pursued sequentially. Makers working on that model airplane, for example, could carefully inspect a previously assembled plane, examine a diagram of it, and then watch as we put one together, explaining as we go, before attempting to make one themselves.”  It just makes sense, as does surveying the teachers and students to see what areas are of most interest and value before purchasing materials.

Now for some “planning and how to” articles… I started with Setting Up Your Own Makerspace since it said it contained a practical guide to getting started and selecting resources. I like that the author included ideas for both tech and non-tech materials:

HIGH-TECH MATERIALS
  • 3D printers
  • littleBits
  • MaKey MaKey
  • Sphero Robotic Balls
  • Ollie
  • OSMO
  • ipads-loaded with production apps
  • Robotics Materials-WeDo/Lego Mindstorm EV3
  • Motors
  • LED lights
  • Snap Circuits
  • Dash and Dot Robots
  • Cubelet Robots

NO-TECH MATERIALS
  • Craft supplies
  • Cardboard
  • Plastic materials
  • Paper
  • Styrofoam
  • Paint
  • Collage materials
  • Rainbow Loom
  • Knitting and crochet supplies
  • Legos
  • TinkerToys
  • K'Nex
  • Attribute blocks
  • Box rivets (Makedo and/or Mr. McGroovy)
  • Plastimake

OTHER MATERIALS
  • Sewing machines
  • Old electronics for tinkering
  • Electric Keyboard
  • Tinkering tools
  • How-To books
  • Video production materials-green screen and lighting

It is also great that the author shared ideas for how and when to implement a MakerSpace, as well as listing some of the benefits a MakerSpace provides. Besides the idea links that are too numerous to include here, there are ideas I don’t want to forget, so I’m including these lists as well for future easy reference:

Utilizing Your MakerSpace
Bringing A MakerSpace To Your School Will...
  • Allow for students to embrace failure as a means for heading toward success
  • Allow students to collaborate and learn from one another
  • Create experts who students will look to for guidance
  • Foster creative thinking
  • Create ways for students to ask real questions to drive their exploration
  • Encourage students to pursue existing passions or seek out new passions
  • Ignite excitement and a joy for learning
  • Promote multiple ways to solve problems

  • Allow students to practice perseverance in day to day learning
  • Expose students to materials they may have never used before: 3D printers, robotic balls, textile materials, circuits, littleBits, programming, and so much more!
  • Encourage student reflection on the process of making
  • Create thinkers

I attempted to download the FREE guide to starting your own maker program but was met with a 404 Error “no longer available” message, so I moved on to the Makerspace Playbook – School Edition - an 84 page PDF manual that I downloaded and saved for future reference. A quick skim through the contents page told me that this would be a resource to revisit later when actually getting ready to start. Some good stuff!

Next up: time to learn more about MakerSpaces and the library! The article Pioneer Middle School Library: Maker Club Begins was of particular interest. I had tried to start a MakerClub this past October, but like mentioned in the article, it was hard for students to understand exactly what “MakerClub” was. As a result, it never took off despite a few months of attempts and PA announcements. I like how this author explained the steps she took to launch her club, complete with pictures and screenshots of the slides she actually used with her students. Very helpful! I also added the suggested hashtags to my list of followed topics on Twitter so I can be on the watch for new ideas!

I next explored the link for Makezine, and added my e-mail address so I can receive their monthly newsletter with (hopefully) lots of great ideas. So many ideas right on the homepage! At this point, I’m feeling overwhelmed; I think I’m getting TOO many ideas, and once again will be unsure about where to start… I decided to bookmark the page and return to it as I need ideas (such as the apps described in Apps & More for Makerspaces | Mix It Up). In the meantime, I DID add some of the suggested books to my next order, including Invent to learn : making, tinkering, and engineering in the classroom by Martinez, Sylvia Libow since it sounds like it would be helpful down the road to have in my collection.

LEARNING ACTIVITY
For my learning activity, I decided to take action! First I reached out to the Science teachers that I knew were interested in a MakerSpace, and am happy to report that they’ve agreed to meet later this week to start mapping out our school’s MakerSpace! I plan to show them the materials I’ve curated so far, as well as discuss some ideas I have for implementing the space next year. Since they’ve already agreed to bring their classes down, I am confident we will have SOMETHING to launch; even if just a basic space to get us started.

Secondly, I decided to make the initial connection with my principal. He recently shared that our PTO is looking to help fund new clubs, so I took this opportunity to draft a basic proposal for a MakerClub. Here is the body of the letter I emailed to him, which was received very positively with encouragement to move ahead!  Thank you for another great “thing” - so practical, helpful, and timely!
**************************************************************************************

Hi Steve,

This is perfect timing! Bill Yager and I have been discussing our desire to work together to offer a "Maker Club" enrichment program for the Middle School.
I've attended several trainings and have many resources, and Bill has the hands-on knowledge of how to actually implement the wonderful materials I've curated, so it's really ready to go!

I have an event planned later this month through collaboration with Barnes & Noble to have a "Maker Faire" in the library, and hoped to use that as a kick-off introduction for students to see what we have. It would be great if we could share the news that there will be a "Maker Club" available for the next school year.

We can provide research in support of the benefits of student access to school MakerSpaces, and this trend is becoming the "hot topic" in many districts around the country. You can read a nice rationale for them at https://curiositycommons.wordpress.com/makerspaces-the-benefits/ which explains that

"Makerspaces can have a significant impact on student learning and development. In fact, Makerspaces were recently identified as one of six important developments in educational technology for K-12 education by the New Media Consortium (NMC) Horizon Report, which states, “Makerspaces are increasingly being looked to as a method for engaging learners in creative, higher-order problem-solving through hands-on design, construction, and iteration” (p. 38). According to the NMC, Makerspaces have the potential to effectively address the necessary skill-sets for students in the 21st Century (p. 38)."

Bill and I would be excited and pleased to act as co-advisors for a new "Maker Club" enrichment program for grades 6-8, and look forward to your reply. ~Cathie

The following is a list of items we already have in the Library MakerSpace area. Bill has additional materials available as well.

Whiteboard / dry erase table

Little Bits Base Kit w/10 Bit Modules

K'Nex Education set: Intro to Simple Machines - GEARS

TumbleTrax Magnetic Marble Run

Electronic Snap Circuits Set (over 300 projects including motion detector)

Snap Circuits Set: Sound (185 projects)

Green Screen

Video camera / tripod / professional level microphones

Digital & Flip Cameras

Stand-alone microphones

Q-BA-Maze 2.0 set

Bot Maze

2 Ozo-Bots

MakerSpace Books for Ideas and "HOW TO" info

Magnetic Poetry

Traditional project supplies


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a project plan you have here! Exciting that this was timely and you're well underway. (thanks for noting that dead link, just deleted it from the lesson)

    ReplyDelete