Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Thing 17: DIY - You Pick!

Such as fun "thing"... although too many fun things to explore and choose from after browsing through the "Top 100 Tools for Learning" and "New Tools" articles & links!  Several items caught my eye and were jotted down on my "check these out later" list, but I decided to focus on one in particular.

I've heard my students talking about Kahoot, so when I saw it appear again on these lists, I decided it was time to check out this new tool. What a pleasant surprise! It was super easy to create a free account, and I was able to make my first Kahoot in one sitting! I did spend some time browsing other people's public Kahoots on my topic (Digital Literacy) to see what they had done. I decided it'd be a great tool to use for whole class reviews, so I created one for my 6th grade class at https://getkahoot.com/

I'm not sure if you can view it if I'm offline, but students would go to https://kahoot.it/#/ and enter my game pin # on their own individual devices (phone, laptop, etc.). I used our class laptops when I did it.   At the time I am typing this blog, the pin # is 204834. I'm not sure if this changes each time I launch my Kahoot or not.

This was a GREAT experience all around. Students logged in to my game fine, and loved playing it so much they were begging for more questions! I can't wait to create more Kahoots for my classes, and am considering having students make their own Kahoot as an assessment tool they can administer to each other via whole class activity. Definitely a way to engage the whole class!

3 comments:

  1. Cool! So glad you used the DIY to explore something that you were able to immediately put into use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to get in Kahoots, too. I applied for a grant that I REALLY hope will get me tablets for my library. Otherwise, I will have to use it only when I can borrow the laptop cart. I used it on Thursday with my third-graders in the competition/quiz mode and they LOVED it! I think that it could be used in the survey mode as Formative Assessment/Exit Tickets to inform future instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to get in Kahoots, too. I applied for a grant that I REALLY hope will get me tablets for my library. Otherwise, I will have to use it only when I can borrow the laptop cart. I used it on Thursday with my third-graders in the competition/quiz mode and they LOVED it! I think that it could be used in the survey mode as Formative Assessment/Exit Tickets to inform future instruction.

    ReplyDelete