Thursday, April 21, 2016

Thing 19: Social Reading and "book stuff”

At the time I'm writing this blog entry, Thing 19 seems to be missing as a link on Track 2 course page. I searched back through my e-mails from Polly and found the notice that Thing 19 was available, and saw from the name that it had to do with social reading and book stuff.

Since I'm not sure exactly what the activities were, for now I am going to write about what I currently do for social reading, etc.  Later, should I see the Thing 19 once again listed and accessible, I will revise/add to this blog with an update.  I was just concerned about not getting credit for all 10 things, and wanted something listed for Thing 19.

For social reading, I'm interpreting that to mean a combination of professional, online, and collaborative reading. Time seems to always be tight, but I find that waiting in my children's parent pick up line is the ideal time to get caught up! I always have a copy or two of School Library Journal, Tech & Learning, School Media Connection, or something similar on-hand in my car.  Right now there is a pile of magazines in my back seat with dog-eared pages waiting for me to come back to them and implement their great ideas!

I've also become a more dedicated Twitter user - following education and library-minded folks and organizations mostly. I use it as a means of sharing news and events in the school libraries as well, and several colleagues have joined, allowing us to use common hashtags for school-related info to keep our online community accessible.  This also allows for a collaborative aspect to take place outside of the classroom - sharing comments and reading each other's events, whether in district or with colleagues around the county, state, country or beyond - definitely something I consider "social reading".

No comments:

Post a Comment